Did you know that using Cough, Cold & Allergy medicine may be putting your teeth at risk?
We are grateful for the cold and allergy medications that help relieve symptoms, but did you know they may be putting your teeth at risk?
Decongestants, cough syrups, antihistamine syrups, and throat lozenges are usually highly acidic and full of sugar, especially the ones designed for children. The acidity dissolves tooth enamel and the sugar feeds cavity causing bacteria, a dangerous combination.
Hopefully, you and your loved ones only need these medications occasionally and for short periods of time.
We have 5 suggestions that will help protect your families teeth when you do:
- Rinse your mouth with water after taking a syrupy medication.
- Take your medicine with meals so the saliva caused by chewing can clear away the sugar and acid.
- Avoid syrups before bed time, if possible. If you find that you need them, rinse your mouth afterward.
- Don’t let lozenges become a habit as they marinate your teeth in sugar and acid for longer periods of time.
- Be sure to brush and floss regularly.
You can help protect your family’s teeth by taking these precautions and still enjoy the benefits of medications that make you feel better.