Botox is a brand of neuromodulating agents. It contains Botulinum Toxin, a natural purified protein that has both cosmetic and therapeutic applications.
When injected into the areas of concern, Botox temporarily relaxes the muscle at the site of injection and prevents it from contracting.
At Crystal Smiles, Dr. Jace James is trained in upper and lower face cosmetic injections, as well as therapeutic injections for bruxism (clenching, grinding), migraines, and areas of myofascial pain / trigger points in the head and neck area.
How long does Botox treatment typically last?
Botox treatments generally last 3-5 months, depending on how fast the patient metabolizes the it.
What are the risks associated with Botox?
Side effects from Botox are rare, and if they do occur, are typically mild and transient. They can include:
- Headache or flu-like symptoms
- Pain, swelling, or bruising at injection site
- Droopy eyelids / eyebrows
- Crooked smile or drooling
Who should avoid Botox treatments?
- People who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- People with infections at proposed injections sites
- People who have previously had an allergic reaction to Botulin Toxin Type A injections
- People with muscle problems or chronic disease affecting the muscles
- Children under the age of 18 years old