Top Tips for beautiful teeth and gums
I bet you are positive you brush your teeth and gums correctly every day. Really, how could you not be? You’ve been doing it for how long? It’s a no-brainer! Maybe because it’s such a “no brainer” we tend to skip the most important steps.
The results of skipping steps can make a huge difference to the appearance and health of your teeth and gums. Improper dental care causes bacteria and plaque, leading to dangerous tartar buildup. Tartar leads to tooth decay and gum disease and nobody wants to deal with those conditions.
How to Brush Your Teeth
For optimal health of your teeth and gums follow these simple steps:
- Timing is everything: The team at Crystal Smiles recommends brushing your teeth for a minimum of two minutes to remove bacteria and food particles.
- Divide and conquer: Divide your mouth into four sections and spend equal time and effort brushing each section. That’s ONLY 30 seconds on each section, and ONLY 15 seconds on the front, and 15 seconds on the back!
- Brush all of your teeth: Brush “hard-to-reach” areas and sensitive teeth even if it hurts. If it hurts too much to brush, you may need to come see our team at Crystal Smiles in Okotoks to have one of our qualified Dentists check it out for you.
- Round and round: Use a gentle circular motion instead of vigorous up-and-down brushing to avoid damaging your teeth and gums.
- Use the right tools: Replace your toothbrush every three to four months to ensure that your toothbrush can effectively clean your teeth and gums.
- Floss, Floss, Floss. It is recommended to floss after every meal. Even if you can’t brush after a meal, then flossing helps to get any food particles out of between your teeth. It is found that flossing after every meal just isn’t feasible for most people, so if you are doing it properly at least once per day (best at night) it will help a lot! Be sure that when flossing, you are sure there is no leftover residue between the teeth before you continue on to the next.
By following these 6 simple steps you will notice that your time spent with us at Crystal Smiles will be much more enjoyable. One visit every 6 months to maintain optimal health is all that you should need.